Michael is a production designer and filmmaker whose most recent design credits include BENEATH THE HARVEST SKY (Toronto International Film Festival), WALTER, Bryan Poyser's THE BOUNCEBACK, Andrew Bujalski’s Sundance-premiering COMPUTER CHESS and Robbie Pickering’s NATURAL SELECTION, winner of the 2011 SXSW Grand Jury Prize.
Additionally, Michael is the co-founder and chief innovator of PEOPLE FOR URBAN PROGRESS (peopleup.org), an Indianapolis-based non-profit and urban design do-tank. Through PUP, Michael also serves as the Steering Committee Co-Chair of the Indy Rezone, the city's first zoning ordinance update since the 1970s. He also recently spoken at DesignBoost’s Design Intelligence conference at Parsons in New York City.
Michael earned his Master in Architecture from the University of Texas at Austin, where he taught production design at the University of Texas Film Institute. In addition to his film and non-profit work, Michael has served as a a Visiting Assistant Professor of Art at Wabash College and an Assistant Instructor at the University of Texas at Austin. He splits his time between Indianapolis, Austin, and Los Angeles.
Abbreviated Production Design Resume
- WALTER (2014), feature, Anna Mastro, dir.
- BENEATH THE HARVEST SKY (2014), feature, Aron Gaudet & Gita Pullapilly, dirs.
- THE BOUNCEBACK (2013), feature, Bryan Poyser, dir.
- COMPUTER CHESS (2013), feature, Andrew Bujalski, dir.
- NATURAL SELECTION (2011), feature, Robbie Pickering, dir.
- MY NAME IS JERRY (2009), feature, Morgan Mead, dir.